Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bras

Say the word "bra" to a booby chick and watch the reaction. Sadly, we don't often have good relationships with our bras. First of all, finding one that fits is often impossible. Magazine articles that talk about the proper fit are sooo helpful. Measure your ribcage, then measure the chest at its fullest part. Then subtract chest minus ribcage. If the difference is one inch, you are an A, two a B, three a C, four a D and five a DD. And there it stops. Ok, so what if your number is bigger than five? What if it is closer to--oh let's just say 10 inches, just in theory—what size are you? Is there even a letter that goes that high? Haven't I passed Z by now?

Well, ok, so I found this site, with a couple of decent descriptions for measuring bra size (and it goes above a DD).

But the best thing I ever did was get myself measured in a shop. But not at a Victoria's Secret (whose "full figured" line is anything but). I went to this beautiful shop in Chicago called Trousseau. My friend (another booby chick) and I visited and were measured by the owner, who was so helpful and sweet. We each got a few bras. I ended up with a simple Fantasie no-line bra and two Le Msytere bras (apparently, Oprah's favorite bra). I ended up returning one of the Msysteres. I found that they gave me the "double boob" or "bubble boob" effect (you know, where your boob bubbles up over the cup. Not very attractive.). And the one that I kept broke after a year, even though I wore it very infrequently and hand washed it. But, still I loved Trousseau and wish that I could get there more often, but it's a little difficult to make the trip now that I am living in Maryland.

So let's say you do find a bra that fits. Most likely it is UGLY. Bras for the booby are usually granny-like. It's like the bra manufacturers either think we don't need any other allurement because our boobs are so big, or that they are TOO big and no man will ever want us, thus no need for a pretty bra. Well, I say we deserve—and need—pretty bras just as much, if not more, than our small breasted sisters.

And I have found the perfect shop. It is called Bravissimo, whose slogan is "swimwear, lingerie & clothing for big boobed women." Perfect right? Well, it would be were the shop not based in the UK with no plans to cross the Atlantic anytime soon. Though if they do, they should open shop in Baltimore or--at least--D.C. first, not New York! However, you can buy online. It has a great Web site, very well organized. And best of all, the bras are pretty! Really, really pretty. In fun colors and pretty laces and sizes up to JJ in some bras. The bathing suits are great too. I haven't tried any clothing yet. But the tanks w/ built in bras look interesting. Someday, I will go to the UK with the primary purpose being visiting one of their shops, but in the meantime, I order online. I get my orders quickly (usually within two weeks, but remember, I am on the East Coast). And returns are easy. I just run over to the post office. Of course, this all costs a bit more, but I am willing to pay for a good bra that actually fits and is pretty.

In the U.S, Lady Grace lets you search by size (up to 56 G), but I've found that the bras aren't very pretty, at least in my size.

Anybody else have tips for where you can find a decent bra in the US?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may love www.Unbelievabra.com

Great bra and it totally eliminates back bulges and makes you look slimmer.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get fitted at Intimacy in Chicago. They are great. No measuring tapes, but they look at you and then bring stuff to try on until you get a proper fit. I'm a 34HH, and they have pretty underwires in that size that fit and look great.

You really have to go British to get bras in large cup sizes, since American producers just don't make them, or if they do they are really ugly. Fantasie is the best for long-lasting, sturdy and pretty bras, but Panache and Freya have even prettier ones, but less long-lasting.

As for online, once you know your size, check http://www.undercoverexperience.co.uk/
They deliver free to US, and have a great range of bras in large sizes. Since nice bras for big women are not cheap, I check their sale ranges, and I've got some great bargains there.

If you want large sports bras, Royce are the best, again an English company. Available here. http://www.boobydoo.co.uk/sportsbras/index.cfm?brandid=10&b=Royce

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home